Saturday 27 March 2010

Feeling podcastically stupid

Just when I thought I understood podcasts, the whole thing comes and bites me on the backside.

I learned at an event how to make an enhanced podcast using Garageband, so I thought I could just add pictures to a track, export to iTunes and stick it in my ipod. Indeed, Di Dawson's moletv video makes it look as easy as that.
http://moletv.org.uk/watch.aspx?v=MYQJU

Nope.

You have to publish it via iWeb to get a podcast channel and then it seems the only way to make it all work is to submit a podcast to iTunes, which i have done. I have no idea where to find it on the iTunes store, but here's the subscription link which I copied from iTunes when it was helping me to set it up. http://web.me.com/xlearn/Site/Podcast/rss.xml

Now I understand that to make something a podcast, you need to put it somewhere that generates an RSS feed. Initially, I thought, I'll upload the file to posterous.com and subscribe to that feed through iTunes, and surely that will work?

No, again. I can get the audio file ok, but not the pictures (chapters, markers...the thing that makes it an enhanced podcast, I guess)

So the question is, if I wasn't using a Mac, how do I make an enhanced podcast and how do I get that to become a podcast that will show the pictures?

1 comment:

  1. In the end, the answer was simple - make the enhanced podcast with Garageband, then drag it to the iphone or nano rather than allowing the device to automatically sync. That way, it won't file it under audio, it will file as a podcast!

    ReplyDelete