Thursday 25 February 2010

recent tips

I tend to use search to find applications I want to launch etc. Magnifying glass in top right hand corner.

Useful mixed pile of tips:
1. F3 on my mac shows all open windows.
2. Four fingers on the trackpad and swipe up shows you desktop, swipe down shows all open windows and across allows you to do the equivalent of alt tab.
3. Fn up and down arrow to page up and down on browser
4. Firefox plus dwhelper add on allows you to download flv files from places like YouTube. Will even convert directly to mp4 sometimes. Can't work out why it works sometimes and not others.
5. Handbrake is a good app for converting flv to mp4 for the iPhone.
6. Two fingers glide up and down on trackpad for scroll...

The one thing I can't abide is the way macs handle downloaded files. Or even saving of files to another folder. You have a limited list of recently accessed folders and no way to browse the entire hard disk to choose where to store stuff. So often, I have two finder windows open - one with the downloaded file in Downloads folder, and the other to browse to where I want to move the file to. Pain in the backside.

No comments:

Post a Comment